Some days when filthy and exhausted the day job sounds pretty easy and not too much of a pain :-)
Down below after removing the rusted steel, and because we didnt have room to replace with timber, we have replaced with stainless steel ... I'm learning new stuff every day ...
Marsude now has her bottom stripped and repaired and undercoated and antifouled
Now we jsut have a few thousand jobs to go ... but she is so worth it :-)
1040 Rocker measurements - Before sanding and fairing the bottom of 1040, I wanted to take the rocker measurements to see where I was with the basic shape of the hull. Rocker is the curve of the boat fore and aft as the bow and stern rise from the deepest part of the hull in the middle. The more rocker a boat has, the faster it will turn. If the forward part of the boat is deeper, the boat will go to weather better. If the aft part of the boat is flatter, it will plane faster. There were some Thistlers who believed that certain wooden hulls had super-fast shapes or that by tweaking the shape of the hull sections, one could make the boat faster.
We had the monthly Thistle meeting at our house tonight and before opening the Taco Bar, we had everyone out to the guarage to roll 1040 over. The inside is complete but still in need of final finishing and rigging. Now it's time to seal, fair sheath and paint the exterior. I'd like to have it ready for sailing on Memorial Day but it seems like I have even more work to do.
Here's a slide show of the flip. You'll see that the seats and thwart still have the plugs in the screw holes. When you're working on a schedule, some things just have to wait. I had to flip the boat when everyone was here. Now the fun really starts!
Marsude has been on the slip for ten days now and in that time we have removed 40 years of antifoul, removed rusting steel frame supports in the bilge and replaced them with stainless steel ... no idea why they put steel in a timber boat in the first place ... the cedar stringers and hull are fine, however the frames are rotten where they have been in contact with the rusting steel and screwed through laminated joints ...
We have also removed all the through hull fittings to repair or replace with new bronze ones ... The mast is down and the boom and whisker pole and spreaders are at home in the back yard waiting for sanding to be completed.
The Thistle has four long seat planks that are beautiful. They are about 6 1/2 feet long and follow the curve of the hull so even though they are only 6.5 inches wide, they must be cut from 9 inch planks. I used the old seats as templates to cut out four new seats and went to install them and they just didn't look right. Measuring (after the fact...) it turns out the original sizes where nowhere near what was shown in the Thistle plans. Two could be recut and used again. Two were wasted. Off to Crosscut Hardwoods and $100 later I had more mahagony, the same colors as the other planks and with just one day lost, I had two more seat planks cut out, this time to the right measurements.
This is the first Blog of Marsude
She is a Ben Lexcen designed 33 foot yacht and the first ocean racer designed by Ben Lexcen ... because of his low math ability, she didn't quite rate as a one tonner ... but she has been successful over many years at club level racing and has completed the Sydney Hobart at least on one occaision.
Marsude is a triple diagonal cold molded cedar sailing vessel ... except for where she is four diagonal layers at the mast region. She is dynal sheathed ... much of which needs repair.
I am varnishing the gratings before I install them. I hand selected different mahogany boards for their color. The small pieces have nice red ribbons of color running through them and I expect them to turn more red over the years. The wider pieces are a traditional blond shade of mahogany that is a nice light brown. I wanted to be sure these colors would be enhanced by the varnish I was using but I also have an interest in trying products that clean up with water so I tried a new one from Varathane this time.
I discovered the mistake I had made with my frames when I had finished drawing out the full size frame pattern pieces onto a piece of plywood. This is what is going to make sure all my pieces are properly aligned with the centerline and setup level of the boat. When I laid out my frame pieces onto this I found some of them wouldn't fit properly within the lines.
I have since cutout and sanded my new pieces and they now do fit properly within the lines so I can start to assemble them. Here is an example of frame 5 laid out on the plywood.
We are finally starting to see some spring weather up here which is good timing as I need to assemble my frames outside and the epoxy gets hard to work with in too cool of temperatures.
Here is a frame going together, one side is already assembled and now I am doing the other side epoxying and nailing together.