Sea Knight - Motor Well and Cockpit
When I went to the Boat Show earlier in the year I put a deposit onto a motor, a Evinrude 75hp 2 stroke. I mentioned to them what I was putting it onto and the gentleman there told me I had better check my transom height as most of those old boat plans are made for the short shaft motor which isn't common anymore. When I got home I measured my transom and sure enough it is cut out for the short shaft and I needed to add at least 4 inches to the height. So if anyone out there is thinking of putting a boat together double check the plans for the transom height to ensure you cut it out to match the motor you will be getting.
Wasn't a big deal, I still had the old piece of plywood that I cut the transom from so I was able to cut that and get matching piece to the curve I had before. On the inside I put another piece of plywood across the whole width of the transom which should only strengthen the whole thing. You can see the line of mastic on the transom showing the height difference. You will also notice that the motor well brace is not straight, slants to the left. Would love to say this was on purpose but it was a total accident, but I am glad I screwed up because I know the water in the motor well will do to the starboard side so that is where I am going to put the drain hole in. Hopefully I don't screw up again and put it in on the port side.
Got the motor well in and to finish it off I will add the aft decks. Had a bit of a drop at the transom so I needed to steam the pieces of plywood first to get them to bend nicely into place.
Getting the back deck fleshed out and putting some covers fore of the aft deck to match up with the motor well.
Cut out the doors and just because I could I threw on some hardware, a couple of cleats.
Now I didn't take any pictures between now and the next step simply because it is epoxying and painting. I know I am a disaster when it comes to epoxying things so it is best not to touch the camera until the job is done and I am cleaned up. I still have some epoxy paint in my hair (leaned a bit too much to the left) a week after painting the back deck, that stuff just does not want to come out.
I am finding it really difficult right now to take my time and do things properly because it is so close to being finished I could SCREAM! Even more exciting I got my boat registration numbers last week so finish it up already.
I have an appointment in a couple of weeks to get the motor installed so before then I would like to finish painting and get the helm box put into place. And get some more hardware installed.
Even if I don't have the windows done, I hope to have the electrical done by fathers day so I can take my boys out fishing for the day.